Build a Better World Summer Program
The Scandinavia Public Library's summer program is a fun way to include reading and related activities in summer family time. It helps children, 'tweens, teens, and adults maintain and improve reading and learning skills. The summer library program has two parts, a reading program and an activities program.
Summer Reading Program
Open to all ages!
Receive a Biblio BINGO card when you sign up for the summer reading program. Cross off squares as you read. Each card has 13 ways to score, and for every score on your card you can choose prizes or donate your points to one of the following organizations:
At the end of the summer, the library will donate 25¢ for each point raised ─ up to $200!
1,000 Books before Kindergarten
This year-round program encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she enters school, a goal experts say children need to help them learn to read for themselves. One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books every day. Sign up at the library today!
Book Group -- The Scandinavia Public Library chooses a book monthly (except for December) to read and discuss as a group on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 4 p.m. Selections vary widely and readers are welcome to participate as frequently as they choose. This summer's books include:
- June 27: "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch
- July 25: "Masterminds" by Gordon Korman
- August 22: "When I Fall in Love" by Iris Rainer Dart
Summer Activities Program
The Scandinavia Public Library offers a variety of programs throughout the summer for all ages. Check individual listings on our website's calendar to learn more about each week's programs!
- Story Time -- Thursday mornings at 10:30 a.m. Younger kids can enjoy some stories followed by a snack. Ages 3-8 (older siblings are welcome!)
- Craft Time -- Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Kids, 'tweens, and teens can enjoy a variety of activities from fun games, special crafts, and sewing. The activity and difficulty will change from week to week, however most will be available for all ages to participate. Ask at the front desk, or check this website or our Facebook page for weekly details.
- Crafting Bee -- Thursday mornings all year from 10:00 a.m. until noon. Bring your own project to work on at the library. All skill levels are welcome, and assistance is available for a wide variety of crafts.
- Drop-In -- Enjoy a simple craft project or activity any time you stop by the library. We'll have something new every week!
Our programs are open to everyone who participates in an age-appropriate manner and is a good role model for younger people.