The Scandinavia Public Library's summer library program is a fun way to include reading and related activities in summer family time. It helps children, 'tweens, teens, and adults maintain and improve reading and learning skills. The summer library program has two parts, a reading program and an activities program.
Summer Reading Program
Sign up at the library to get your reading logs to record the time you spend reading this summer. All ages are encouraged to participate!
The reading program is made up of four, three-week reding periods. At the end of each reding period, the library will hold a random drawing to award a $25 Waupaca Area of Commerce gift certificate to one lucky reader!
To enter the drawing for each gift certificate, turn in a reading log with at least three hours of reading completed during that period by 1 p.m. on the last day of the reading period.
- Period 1: June 6 -- June 25
- Period 2: June 27 -- July 16
- Period 3: July 18 -- August 6
- Period 4: August 8 -- August 27
Bonus items: Based on your age and the number of hours you read and record on your reading logs, you may also be offered coupons, free books, or treasures from the library's treasure chest as supplies last. Ask about your bonuses when you hand in your reading logs!
1,000 Books before Kindergarten
This program encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she enters school, a goal experts say children need to help them learn to read for themselves. One of the best ways to encourage learning is to spend time sharing books every day. Sign up at the library today!
Book Group -- Fourth Tuesday of each month at 4:00 p.m. Upcoming books this summer are:
- June 28: "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King
- July 26: "Breakfast at Tiffany's" by Truman Capote
- August 23: "Two If by Sea" by Jacqueline Mitchard
Summer Activities Program
The Scandinavia Public Library offers a variety of programs throughout the summer for all ages!
- Story Time -- Thursday afternoons at 3:00 p.m. Younger kids can enjoy some stories and a craft followed by a snack. Ages 3-8
- Craft-tivities -- Tuesday afternoons from 2:30 - 4:00 p.m. Kids, 'tweens, and teens can enjoy a variety of activities from fun games, special crafts, and sewing. The activity and difficulty will change from week to week, however most will be available for all ages to participate. Ask at the front desk, or check our website or our Facebook page for weekly details.
- Crafting Bee -- Thursday mornings from 10:00 a.m. until noon. Bring your own project to work on at the library. All skill levels are welcome, and assistance is available for a wide variety of crafts.
- Second Saturday at Jorgens Park -- The second Saturday of each month at 10:00 a.m. We'll meet at the picnic shelter, then head out to explore the prairies, woods, and wetlands of this 40-acre gem. Learn about the land's history, and the plants and animals along the trail. Wear your walking shoes, and dress appropriately for the weather! All ages
Our programs are open to everyone who participates in an age-appropriate manner and is a good role model for younger people.